You owe someone money

Disputes about money can be resolved with mediation. Community Justice Centres provide experienced mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach and agreement.

If you have received a Statement of Claim you can pay the money or apply to pay by instalments. If you don't owe the money you can defend the claim. The information sheet below will provide more detail:

If you receive a Statement of Claim and do nothing, the person issuing the claim can apply to the court for a judgment to be entered against you. A judgment can affect your credit history and can result in further action being taken against you to recover the money. If you are not sure what to do, get help, call LawAccess on 1300 888529.

Find more information about civil cases at the Local Court.

Last updated:

13 Mar 2020

We acknowledge the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we work and we pay respect to the Elders, past, present and future.
Return to top of page Back to top