Family Law

Most family law matters, such as divorce, are not heard in the Local Court. They are dealt with by the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia.

The New South Wales Local Court has limited jurisdiction to hear some family law applications such as:

  • property settlements
  • residence orders.

The forms used in the Local Court for family law matters family court forms.

For more information about family law, forms and fees and publications, refer to:

The National Enquiry Centre (NEC) is the entry point for all telephone and email enquiries on family law court matters (Federal Magistrates Court and Family Court of Australia). The NEC can provide information and procedural advice, forms and brochures and referral advice to community and support services. NEC staff cannot provide legal advice.

Last updated:

24 Jun 2020

We acknowledge the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we work and we pay respect to the Elders, past, present and future.
Return to top of page Back to top