Around 75 per cent of courthouses in New South Wales are heritage listed. They range from the classical Windsor courthouse, built in 1821 and the oldest surviving courthouse in the state, through Victorian, Federation and more recent courthouses.
All heritage-listed courthouses are included in the departments new Section 170 Heritage Register, which provides details about the history and significance of the buildings.
The heritage courthouses are maintained and developed by the departments Asset Management Branch, which follows the principles laid down in the Burra Charter and the Heritage Act 1977 (NSW). In 2006, the department developed a Heritage Asset Management Strategy, which covers these valuable buildings as well as some historic Aboriginal sites.